Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Dave Matthews Band Does Not Rock

I woke up with the Dave Matthews Band's song "Satellite" in my head and it is not a promising start to the day.

Thursdays are nice because I almost never have assignments due, and it's my shortest day, so I really just have to cruise through it without really showing up, you know, mentally. Of course, I probably should pay attention in Parent-Child Relationships since I seriously bombed the test I took on Tuesday.

Last night I ended up in an educational conversation that was about half art history and half The Old Testament. I love intellectual discussions with other smart people. It made up for this dead-eyed moron in my research methods class earlier in the week. Here's the story:

The professor is telling us about how historical events that affect the whole sample in a study can skew the results. So he gives an example of someone who is running a study on depression, but happens to be running it from August to November of 2001. So the results in 2001 indicate that everyone is deeply depressed, and he asks us what could account for that. And Idiot Girl's hand shoots right up instantly, and she goes, "The weather in November is grey and dark, and that might affect the depression rate?" That was bad (the professor responded, "uh, I guess that's technically true, but try concentrating on 2001.") but later it got worse. The professor, as an example, said that he had a program that could teach kids to walk, and that none of the kids could walk when they entered the program at age one, but 99% of them could walk by the time they exited the program at age 5. (He said this in order to demonstrate that natural maturation could account for results.) Then he was like, "Why wouldn't you want to sign up for my program?" And she pipes up "Because I can already walk!"

Because I can already walk.

Don't you wonder sometimes how you made the series of decisions that landed you in the same college with these people?

1 Comments:

Blogger marie said...

three words:

better. than. hamline.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home