Monday, November 13, 2006

I Think Gary Glitter Shops At My Grocery Store

I am not the kind of girl who learns lessons, so I made a staggeringly poor choice this morning in drinking a grande Chai latte from Starbucks and eating a chocolatey bun with it. Which basically equates to setting off two or three megatons of caffeine dynamite in my delicate system. Simplified: I Want To Die.

The phone on this desk keeps ringing and I'm sure as hell not picking it up.

Robby and I spent a long time last night working out details for my Future Plans via AIM. I bounced ideas off of him and he offered support between rounds of homework. It worked out pretty well as I found an M.A. in International Development program with a concentration in health at a school that seems A) really nice, B) really cheap, and C) particularly suited to me, as it contains a haunted insane asylum and is allegedly built over an Indian burial ground. Plus the campus is gorgeous, at least in the publicity photos, and the college town it's in seems really pleasant. (I just realized I talked around where it is. It's Ohio University in Athens, OH.) So currently the plan is:

*Graduate in Spring 2008
*Leave for my Peace Corps tour in late 2008
*Return in late 2010
*Start at Ohio U in 2011

Of course, this plan banks heavily on my being accepted to both the Peace Corps and Ohio University. I'm pretty used to getting my own way with things, academically, so I should probably be more worried about that than I am. Although if nothing works out I'm still going to SUNY - Stonybrook for my MSW. I'm quite sure I can get in there. Anyway, it's nice to have a plan in place.

Also, I will be 31 when I leave for Ohio if I stick to this schedule. Thirty-goddamn-one. Sometimes when I have to confess how old I am I'm just as shocked as the person I'm talking to. I guess it's a cliche, you know, you're only as old as you feel or whatever, and in the grand scheme of things I'm still just a wee baby like the rest of you. But it's still a bit of a shock to say, "I'm going to be here in five years" and then realize exactly how long five years is. How long and how horribly, horribly short.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home