Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Our Time Is Running Out

Sometimes even though I don't have anything specific to be happy about I just feel happy anyway. Today I'm opting to be happy about doing data entry until my arms hurt from lack of movement, and people who are so filled with joy that it's hard to be unhappy around them (I recently met one. He's got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in his heart and dammit, it's hard not to smile at that.)

Yesterday I helped to run a conference for social workers on rebuilding the mother-child bond after escaping from domestic violence. It was, as predicted, depressing. Although my part of the conference, i.e. running the reception desk and making sure everybody was where they were supposed to be at all times went very well. We had a small art exhibition in the main lecture room that consisted of pictures and notes drawn by child survivors of domestic violence under the heading "I want the government to..." They were pretty much all heartwrenching but by far the worst was the one that said "I want the goverment to...stop my Daddy from finding me!" Signed Sam, age 8. There was also one that said "I want the government to...protect my Mum because I have tried but I'm only 15."

On the plus side, I was typing up the evaluation forms today and somebody went out of their way to comment on the transportation directions to the venue and how informative they were, and that was all me. It's little things that get you through the day, etc.

I like Blogger okay but it doesn't give you the option to brag about what you're listening to these days. Today it's the Scissor Sisters new album "Ta-Dah!" thoughtfully given to me by Robby after I massively failed to buy it myself.

I have a shit ton of homework that I'm somehow in denial about doing. Among other things, I have that distance-learning class that I've been enrolled in since January and was supposed to be done with in October; pretty sure I have almost half of the assignments left. The professor promised me an Incomplete but I'm really pushing it, I think. It's not like I'm doing anything useful when I'm not doing homework--usually I'm laying around reading free newspapers or staring mindlessly at British television. Speaking of which, go to YouTube and search for clips of "That Mitchell and Webb Look," which is my favorite show. Unless the Google pogrom of YouTube has begun and all the copyrighted material is gone already. They stand to lose millions--what else is YouTube for but for looking for something specific and usually copyrighted?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home