Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sorry, We Had Other Commitments

I'm waiting for my group to get here so we can put together a 12 minute skit about British and holidays. This literally makes me want to die.

Yesterday I went to Belgium. It was exhausting. I had to get up at 4:45 in the morning to make my bus at 6, and the bus pickup is like a 10 minute walk from my flat in a neighborhood I'm pretty familiar with and I still got desperately lost and barely made it. Belgium was nice though. I ate a Belgian waffle and some Belgian chocolate and some frieten which are like fries but sort of thicker and more delicious. I saw an antique flea market and a sculpture of the Madonna and Child by Michaelangelo and I touched the blood of Jesus. Well, I didn't touch the actual blood, but in the Basilica of the Holy Blood (which actually has a Flemish name that is utterly inconceivable as an actual word) is housed the cloth with which Joseph of Arimathea cleansed the body of Jesus after the Crucifixion. And it's kept in a little crystal case and you can touch the case, so I did, because who would pass up an opportunity to touch the blood of Jesus? It was pretty amazing, actually.

On the way home we watched Ocean's 12 because it was too dark to look at scenery, but we had to get on the ferry from Calais (France) to Dover (England--of the White Cliffs, you know) and so I missed the last 10 or 15 minutes. I was sad because I was pretty into the movie. I didn't see the first one but it wasn't that hard to pick up, I guess.

Oh, and don't think I didn't get lost on the way home, as well. Actually I was standing on a street corner in my neighborhood trying to remember which way to turn, and these girls on the opposite sidewalk shouted over to me. "Hey," they shouted. "Do you know the way to Harrington Gardens?" "No," I shouted back. "Do you know the way to Cromwell Road?" "No!" It didn't go well but I found it eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home