Friday, December 15, 2006

This Fog Is So Thick I Can't See My Own Cataracts

I decided that since I live in London for the next 36 hours or so, I might as well see a bit or two, so today I went to Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, and the Houses of Parliament. I only went into Westminster Abbey. It was beautiful. Then I went up to Oxford Circus and walked down to Picadilly Circus and looked at all the Christmas lights. But it gets dark here at 3 PM and my flash isn't working on my camera, so I gave up and came home. Then I talked to Robby for an hour and we both made what were possibly most tasteless jokes in the history of America. The more things change, the more they etc.

I am regaining possession of my old cell phone on the 18 (Monday.) Barring anything unforeseen. So feel free to give me a call sometime after that--I won't have much else going on, I think, besides moving (which I'm allegedly taking care of the 22.)

I have an Indian pop song in my head but I don't know the words.

I feel kind of bad about this whole study abroad thing. Not bad, exactly. It's just that a lot of people are like, 'this is so amazing, this changed my life.' And I don't feel like that at all. I mean, I'm glad I came, and it's been fun. But it's not exactly the first time I've been on my own in an unfamiliar environment, and frankly I didn't find London nearly challenging enough. So then when I talk to people who are like "Isn't it the most amazing thing ever?" I can't decide whether to lie or to say "Well, no. Sorry." Because it is amazing, I guess. I don't know, if I learned nothing else from my various health professionals over the years, I've learned that I'm not good at naming my feelings. ("How do you feel?" "I don't know, bad?" "Bad in what way?" "Um, you know how sometimes you feel good? Not that.") But I mean, coming to London made the whole Peace Corps decision easy, and if I hadn't been here I wouldn't have found the Master's program I really want. And it's not been bad. Just, I guess, not life-changing. Not more than anything else, which is to say most things in my life are life-changing because I'm never in the same place or doing the same thing for very long. I'm sure that's the problem.

I'm sure glad my skin broke out just before I'm coming home.

Who wants to go to the Aveda Institute and get a haircut with me soon?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Echo, roger, sigma, beta, chi, kappa kappa, ditto on the not really a challenging, life-changing experience. It's been great, but I'm not Bhudda or anything now. Just like I raised my eyebrows, fake-beamed and exclaimed, "TOTALLY!" when people said, "Aren't you excited?!?! Ohmygod, you're going to have the BEST time!" pre-depature, I'm going to pump up the animation and say, "IT FUCKIN' RULED!" when they ask (and simultaneously answer), "How was it!?!? Awesome?! I bet you had a great time!" As much energy as it takes to fake it, it takes more to explain why I'm not the exciteable type of person, and I just take things as they are and as they come.

I know an Irish guy who was making fun of all the people who say they changed sooo much abroad--one of his friends actually said, "Dude, I don't even think anymore, I just feel." A lot of those people just had a lot of casual sex with foreigners and were able to legally drink abroad. I don't know about you, but I wasn't exactly promiscuous (nevermind, I forgot you're a raging whore), and I drank a lot--legally--before I got here, so maybe that's the problem? Or maybe we should have gone to the continent.

The short version of this comment would be, "Hey, I hear you, glad to know I'm not the only one," but congratulations, you just received the longest comment I've ever posted to a blog.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home