Wednesday, December 06, 2006

All I Need To Know I Learned In University, You Uneducated Twat

I don't want to alarm you or anything, but I've figured out that everyone sucks but us. So, you might want to keep that to yourself, because they wouldn't understand. They can't; they suck.

Last night our theatRE class went to see "Coram Boy" at the National Theatre. Coram Boy is why I go to the theatre even after disasters like "Drunk Enough To Say I Love You." The acting was spot-on, the story was engaging (if a little rushed at points), the characters were emotionally interesting, and the staging was SPECTACULAR. Seriously, at the act break they dug up a bunch of baby skeletons and then executed a guy onstage. Also there's a scene underwater. What's not to love? The show is intense, obviously, and emotional and it was just exactly what I am looking for in the theatre. I don't go to a show to have my beliefs challenged or to be taken outside my "comfort zone"--I like my comfort zone, that's why it's my comfort zone. I just go to be entertained for a couple hours and maybe see or hear something I haven't seen or heard before. Experience over substance, that's my motto.

Tomorrow night Makenzi and I are going to Westminster Abbey to see Handel's Messiah performed in time for Christmas. I haven't been to Westminster Abbey and I love classical music, so I'm pretty damned excited. Plus it's free.

As we speak my room in my new apartment is being painted and carpeted. I'm going to have to figure out how to move my stuff from Saint Paul and I don't have any ideas. I need to stop moving around so much. I probably will with this one, though. Cheap rent and a good location...All it needs is a local grocery store and I'd never leave. Well, as Mick assures us, you can't always get what you want, etc.

I have this problem where I get really excited for change and I stop paying attention to the present. I'm in London for 11 more days and mostly I spend my time planning for when I get back home. Searching for jobs, trying to figure out how to get around that one little (huge) snag in applying for my apartment, trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to get my stuff back to Dinkytown. It occupies both time and attention that if I were smarter or a better person I would be devoting to squeezing the last little bits of enjoyment out of London.

Of course, this would also be easier if I wasn't broker than a church mouse after a fire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home