Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Playing With My Peach Tree Mom

I had the most disillusioned Tube driver in London tonight on the Jubilee line from London Bridge, as presented here:

[PA system crackles to life]
Driver: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. The next station will be Waterloo. Isn't that lovely? I'd like to take this train upstairs at Waterloo and take us all on a long weekend in Paris, but instead this train will terminate at Willesden Green. For all of you alighting at Waterloo...[wistful pause]...have a wonderful evening.
[PA system clicks off.]

It was doubly odd because I've never heard a driver announce a stop before. They usually only get on to announce why the train is stuck in an overheated tunnel or why service is terminating abruptly at the next stop (or the other day when they announced that our safety was in jeopardy and we needed to leave the train immediately--turned out there was a broken door.)

There is not enough music in my life.

Tomorrow night is the invitation-only event at City Hall that, I've been informed, also comes with free wine. I have no idea what to wear to this thing, but it will be fun anyway. Especially since I'm technically coming out in my free time so I'm not expected to work, but I get to charge the hours over anyway. Not that I'm getting paid, but it sort of makes up for last week, when I didn't go to work until Thursday (and I don't work Friday.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home