Friday, November 24, 2006

I Would Have Sung The Monster Mash

I've been planning on going to the Tate Modern today since I skipped the class session there on Tuesday (legitimately! I was sick.) But I woke up this morning after a late night last night and couldn't convince myself to put pants on, much less drag myself to an art museum. I have to go before Tuesday, but maybe not today.

Last night, as you are aware, was Thanksgiving. Here in Britain they don't believe in Pilgrims and Indians and the peaceful conjunction of the two, so we had to make our own celebration. First we (and by we I mean practically every American I'm here with) went to the CAPA Thanksgiving dinner buffet at the Holiday Inn. The food was (surprisingly) delicious and plentiful, although the stuffing was a disappointment, and they didn't have cranberry sauce. (That reminds me of a short tangent: I mentioned it was Thanksgiving at work, and all of the Brits I work with confirmed that the thing they associate most with American Thanksgiving is pumpkin pie. I don't know, but it makes me laugh.) After dinner there was a quiz, at which my team (me and Greg and the Texas kids) were soundly slaughtered by the table next to us (Tory and Erin and a bunch of other people.) In the name of good faith and Ken House sticking together, we all left together and went up to the Texas kids' room for a good old-fashioned Rowdy Thanksgiving Bash.

I may have forgotten to mention this, but the Texas kids (Brantley, Rob, and Anthony) took advantage of a recent sale of Stella Artois at the Sainsbury's and come home with...I want to say it's 23 cases? I've never seen so much beer in my life. They're saving the bottles to make a Christmas tree. Anyway, Tory and Erin and I joined them and several others to drink beer and dance around and sing Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'" loudly while sitting on the window ledge (maybe that was just me.) Tory was DJ and she has mad skillz, but right after an absolutely inspired party-wide sing- and dance-along to "Bohemian Rhapsody," some girl that I've never seen before but that apparently lives upstairs came down and asked us to keep it down. Maybe it was 1 in the morning at that point, but it was a holiday, and frankly she should have joined the party instead of bitching about it. Anyway, we didn't keep it down (I don't think we could have,) and she lodged a complaint. After reports that you could hear the party all the way down to the first floor (we were on the fourth,) somebody in authority finally came up and told us to shut up or get out. We tried keeping quiet but it wasn't as fun, so the volume started edging up and up. I got pretty tired around then (it was 2 AM) so I left to check my email and go to bed. Needless to say, it was a pretty great Thanksgiving.

I am trying to get my laundry done but we only have two washers for 60 people so I have to time it right. Not as easy as it sounds.

Oh, and apparently I'm going to City Hall to meet the mayor on Monday. I wish I had more than one suit.

"I hope they show the part where the settlers traded guns to the Indians for corn, and then the Indians shot them and took the corn." (The Simpsons)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home