Wednesday, July 11, 2007

And Burn Your Town To Cinders

Current Song: "If U Wanna Be My Lover" -- Spice Girls

Spice Girls are reuniting and I think it's OH MY GOD IS THAT THE TRUMPET OF GABRIEL?

In other news, I'm sort of in a bind. See, I joined up with this voluntary research internship thing a while back. I'm sure I've mentioned it. Since then, I've joined two more research projects, one of which I'm getting paid to work on and allegedly getting publication credit for (although it's not in my career field). So here's the situation: I have a lot on my plate, research-wise. Plus work. Plus sitting around being lazy. And over the past two weeks or so, this research internship has become progressively more complicated -- I don't know what's expected of me, I'm supposed to put in 6 hours a week and log them, now I apparently am supposed to write a paper and go to meetings with stressful women who will interrogate me about what I've been doing, when I haven't been doing anything because I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. And the real kicker is that I'm apparently supposed to have registered for the Research Internship class, and I haven't, and nobody's brought that up. And I don't want to register for it because it'll just cost me thousands and thousands of dollars and not bring me any closer to graduating because I've already met the internship credit. So the bind I'm in is this: is this internship worth it or should I just quit? It's a good learning experience and could allegedly get me a decent recommendation letter (which I already have in spades and don't really need), but it's going to cost me money and emotional stress. Also, quitting seems stressful in and of itself, especially the longer I go without either quitting or registering for the class.

I spent most of my workday today shopping for government jobs that I could get once I have a real degree. I found some that I really want but will never be qualified for, like the ones that require driver's licenses and/or the ability to carry a sidearm, and then some that I really want and will be qualified for once I get my first master's, including a job as a program analyst for the National Institute of Health that pays like $60,000 and would be a miracle on wheels. It got me all excited for my education again. With the time I'm spending not going to class right now, the full-time working future looks just delightful.

Most Interesting Thing I Saw Today:

I was standing in the hallway on the 12th floor of my apartment building waiting for the elevator when the elevator doors were pried open from the inside and a hand groped out blindly, and then was snatched back and the doors snapped shut. I was just staring blankly at it when the doors opened again and a really good-looking elevator technician was standing in there on top of the elevator car. I said hello but it was really awkward; especially since the elevator that still worked didn't come for several more minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home