Saturday, June 09, 2007

In The Big City

Current Song: "In A Radio Song" -- Okkervil River

I had a meeting with the data analyst guy for my internship and he was like "You're doing a great job, I just have one little note, uh, everything you've done is wrong. But it's okay! But you're going to have to fix it and it's going to take forever." So I spent three hours this morning in the world's most uncomfortable chair (it actually gives me back spasms) scrambling to change my "missing information" notations into legitimate data points. Moral of the story: it was annoying, but it was my fault.

Lila is allegedly cooking me dinner tonight. We're also planning our escape to my parents' island, which looks like it's pretty well set for the last week of August. I haven't seen my parents since 2005. And their island sounds pretty sweet.

I'm pretty convinced that my mother thinks that Lila and I are Life Partners, and I'm not really working to dispel that myth, as it's better to have her refuse to talk about my sexual orientation than to have her confront me with her belief that I am an antisocial hermit with no friends. I love them and all, but my parents are not in favor of same-sex relationships, so it's been a complete non-discussion in my family for my entire life even though everybody knows. It's a cruel open secret. Cruel in that for most of my adolescence my parents went out of their way to make homophobic slurs specifically to me, even though I know they know because we are all not stupid. Also when I was 13 I overheard them discussing my sexual orientation with my grandma which was traumatic as at 13 I was still largely unaware of where I was headed. At 26 I'm still largely unaware of where I'm headed. I don't feel like I should have to settle into a specific label with all its attendant lifestyle quirks. Maybe I'm ahead of my time, but what's wrong with being attracted to an individual without regard to gender? And why should that be my defining characteristic? Sexual orientation is stupid.

Most Interesting Thing I Saw Today: I was gone for three hours this morning and when I came home, an enormous blue kite in the form of a dragon was hanging from the ceiling in the middle of my living room. It's absolutely not staying there, it hangs almost to the floor and I don't relish the thought of having to dodge things in my own home. Is it so hard to have practicality in mind when making decorating decisions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home