Saturday, July 21, 2007

So I Says To Mabel, I Says...

Current Song: "Danny's Song" -- Loggins and Messina

This song was on in the grocery store and I realized at some point that I was belting it out as I perused the selection of taco shells. It's the one that goes:

"Even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with you, honey,
And everything will bring a chain of love.
And in the morning when I rise
You bring a tear of joy to my eyes
And tell me everything is gonna be alright."

The employees of that grocery store know me from the off-key singing, I'm sure, as this is not the first time I've wandered through the aisles like a minstrel.

Two things: first of all, I discovered a fact that I had forgotten but that had always fascinated me, and it's that Devil's Dictionary author Ambrose Bierce disappeared suddenly in Mexico and no one ever found out what happened to him. I remember encountering this fact several years ago, getting Ambrose Bierce mixed up with H.P. Lovecraft, and then finding out that Lovecraft never disappeared and deciding that I had made the whole disappearance story up. It was reassuring to realize that I was wrong not in fact but in character.

Second of all, Susan told me last night, quite confidently, that Napoleon's troops had blown the nose off the Sphinx during target practice. Now, I know very little about Napoleon and not that much more about the Sphinx, but I was wholly unable to believe that this was true. Today I looked it up and discovered that Napoleon's troops did not, in fact, blow the nose of the Sphinx with cannons. The nose was gone at least by 1737 (as evidenced in drawings of the Sphinx made in 1737 but published in 1755) while Napoleon's troops did not march on Egypt for nearly 50 more years. Between Napoleon and Ambrose Bierce, I pretty much feel infallible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home